Premier Cup Whitton Stowmarket Oct 2020 1

Andrews says team were so relentless

STOWMARKET were ‘relentless’ as they thrashed Whitton 10-0 in the Suffolk Premier Cup.

STOWMARKET Town Manager Rick Andrews said his side were ‘relentless’ after thrashing Whitton United 10-0 in the Turners Hyundai Suffolk Premier Cup.

Josh Mayhew scored four times in the first-half and Dom Docherty once as the visitors led 5-0 at the interval at King George V in Tuesday’s second-round tie.

Former Whitton United player Anton Clarke helped himself to a second-half hat-trick and Charlie Clarke and Evan Collard were also on target as Stowmarket made it double figures.

Andrews said: “We were on it from start to finish – we were relentless. We were in that position last season where we put teams to the sword in the first-half, but then took our foot off the pedal in the second-half.

“We scored early on and then we got a second and you could see they were despondent and it was all over by half-time. We just overwhelmed them.

“I am not gloating as I have been on the end of some hidings in my time as a manager and I felt sorry for their manager Shane Coldron.”

Andrews said it was pleasing for Anton Clarke, who is the club’s long-serving player and was up again his brother Ethan, to score a hat-trick.

Premier Cup Whitton Stowmarket Oct 2020 2

Josh Mayhew (yellow & black striped shirt) scores one of his four first-half goals for Stowmarket against Whitton United (green & white striped shirts) in their 10-0 victory on Tuesday night. Photograph: David Walker. Main photograph: Anton Clarke is hoisted up by team-mate Danny Cunningham after scoring one of his three goals. Photograph: Hogan Cobbold 

Stowmarket will be joined in the quarter-finals by Felixstowe & Walton United and Hadleigh United.

The Seasiders won 6-2 at Brantham Athletic, with substitute George Clarke scoring four times in the second-half against his former club.

Felixstowe led 2-1 at the interval through an own goal and Armani Schaar, with Jonathan Lee replying, before Clarke took centre stage in the second period.

Clarke, who underwent surgery on a toe in the summer and was introduced on the hour, scored within a minute, before adding three more, with Jonathan Lee scoring a second for Brantham.

For the second successive season in the competition Hadleigh overcame AFC Sudbury to knock out their higher-league opponents.

Hadleigh had taken the lead in the 76th minute when Jake Eady flicked him from close range, but Billy Holland equalised in the second minute of stoppage time.

Both teams converted three of their first five penalties, taking the tie to sudden-death.

Hadleigh goalkeeper Nick Punter, who saved three spot kicks in last season’s meeting, saved his second on the night to thwart Lewis O’Malley and send the Brettsiders through 5-4.

The match between Woodbridge Town and Haverhill Rovers was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns among the Haverhill Rovers players.

There are two more ties scheduled for Wednesday evening – at Long Melford and Walsham-le-Willows.


Tuesday’s Results

Turners Hyundai Suffolk Premier Cup Second Round: Brantham Athletic 2 Felixstowe & Walton Utd 6, Hadleigh Utd 1 AFC Sudbury 1 – Hadleigh Utd won 5-4 on pens, Whitton Utd 0 Stowmarket Town 10, Woodbridge Town v Haverhill Rovers – postponed due to COVID-19.


Wednesday’s Fixtures

Turners Hyundai Suffolk Premier Cup Second Round: Long Melford v Kirkley & Pakefield (7.45pm), Walsham-le-Willows v Ipswich Town (7.30pm).

Related News

View All