Primary Cup Final AFC Sudbury A Old Newton Utd Res May 2019 1

First Primary Cup win for AFC Sudbury

AFC Sudbury have won the Suffolk Primary Cup for the first time.

AFC Sudbury have won the KBB NEFF Suffolk Primary Cup for the first time.

The club’s A team defeated Old Newton United Reserves 4-2 in Monday’s final at Portman Road before 504 spectators.

First-half goals from Ethan Mayhew and Sam Girling put the Academy side in control at the interval, before Freddie King added a third from the penalty spot after 63 minutes.

Old Newton rallied and John Hutton pulled one back, and even after their opponents restored their three-goal advantage courtesy of an own goal, Mitch Standing added a second for the village side.

Right from the start AFC Sudbury’s slick passing was stretching the Old Newton defence and it was no surprise when they went in front after 17 minutes, the unmarked Ethan Mayhew sidefooting home Harry Critchley’s low left-wing cross from six yards out.

Primary Cup Final AFC Sudbury A Old Newton Utd Res May 2019 2

Ethan Mayhew (red shirt, No.8) sidefoots home the opening goal for AFC Sudbury A against Old Newton United Reserves. Photographs: Paul Voller

Old Newton, who were not offering much of an attacking threat, kept their youthful opponents at bay until just before the break.

Sam Girling squeezed his shot inside the far post from a tight angle as he cut in from the right after exchanging passes with skipper Lewis O’Malley.

With a two-goal lead and their superior fitness expected to tell in the second period, the smart money was on AFC Sudbury running out comfortable winners.

However, Old Newton introduced Charlie Shave and switched to three up front and started to pose more problems for their opponents.

AFC Sudbury added a third after 63 minutes when Mark Theobald was adjudged to have bundled over Critchley as he burst into the penalty area onto a return pass.

Primary Cup Final AFC Sudbury A Old Newton Utd Res May 2019 3

AFC Sudbury A players celebrate after Ethan Mayhew (fourth left) puts them in front against Old Newton United Reserves.

Although he went the right way Old Newton keeper Adam Burch was unable to stop Freddie King’s powerfully-struck rising spot kick.

Old Newton were handed a lifeline four minutes later when Sam Wright parried Ahkeim-O’Brian Stone’s angled drive into the path of John Hutton who volleyed it back past him following a free-kick wide on the right.

Gary Newland, stretching to cut out Jack Renwick’s right-wing cross, could only divert the ball into his own net via the inside of the near post for AFC Sudbury’s fourth in the 73rd minute.

But back came Old Newton and Mitch Standing sent a glancing header into the bottom far corner from Gary Newland’s deep free-kick to complete the scoring.

Primary Cup Final AFC Sudbury A Old Newton Utd Res May 2019 4

Old Newton United's Mitch Standing (yellow shirt, No.11) heads home his side's second goal against AFC Sudbury A in the final.

The cup and medals were presented by Roger Peck on behalf of competition sponsors The KBB Centre and NEFF and Suffolk FA Director Nigel Johnson.


The Teams

AFC Sudbury A: Sam Wright, Ellis Girling, Harry Critchley, Lewis O’Malley, Reece Langridge, Matt Wooldridge, Sam Girling, Ethan Mayhew, Freddie King, Jack Renwick, Joe Osborn. Used subs: Josh Hughes, Ethan Mills, Josh Tysoe, Rauf Kabangu, Jake Horlock.

Old Newton United Reserves: Adam Burch, Matt Ager, Aston Parris, Ian Rice, Gary Newland, Mark Theobald, Harry Knight, John Hutton, Ahkeim-O’Brian Stone, Ben English, Mitch Standing. Used subs: Adam Barton, Sam Reynolds, Charlie Shave, Miles Keys, Ant Stowe.

Referee: Regan Bradshaw.

Attendance: 504.

Related News

View All